A lot of people might think that pumpkin is an autumn-only ingredient. Well, let us confess, we use pumpkin all year ’round. Don’t judge. And Innkeeper Dave’s pumpkin bread remains our top-requested recipe. So we have it here just for you. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Bread from the Inn on Mill Creek Bed & Breakfast
Prep time (10 minutes) + Bake time (60 minutes) + Cool time (10 minutes)
1 can (15 oz, 1 3/4 cups) pureed pumpkin
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted gently
1/3 cup water + 1/3 cup Buttermilk
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
¼+ cup Brown Sugar (meaning a little more than ¼ cup)
1 Cup White Sugar
3 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
2 ½ teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice*
* Innkeeper Dave’s Pumpkin Pie Spice – he makes it in batches (sifted together)
[4 parts] – cinnamon
[2 parts] – ginger
[1 part] – ground cloves
[1 part] – nutmeg
[1/2 part] – mace
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together wet ingredients.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and spoon into loaf pans.
- Bake for an hour; cool for 10 minutes.
Makes 3 medium + 2 small loaf pans; or 2 large loaf pans.