Breakfast at Inn on Mill Creek
“If we get up for breakfast, we’ll have time for a nap before we have to hit the road! ~ Our guest, Ashley
BREAKFAST IS SERVED
Who wants impersonal chain hotel breakfast food when you can enjoy a fantastic, full sit-down breakfast in a comfortable and relaxing setting? In warm weather months, you’ll be served that all-important first meal of the day in our glassed-in dining solarium, looking out on our gardens and the awakening Pisgah National Forest that surrounds our bed and breakfast near Black Mountain and Asheville. In cool weather, you get to dine inside the cozy Main House dining area by the kitchen.
Typically, we offer two breakfast seatings, to meet the needs and schedules of our guests. Coffee is on at 7:30 a.m. (Dave is selective about his brew), and we offer fresh-squeeze and blend juices, with fruit from our orchard when in season.
Need a snack during the day (or at midnight)? You’ll find baked goodies, such as snickerdoodles, flourless peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, banana bread, brownies, scones, etc., under glass. Snacks vary throughout the week.
A SAMPLE OF WHAT’S FOR BREAKFAST
Our philosophy on breakfast is that ‘hearty trumps fancy’, though we do try to make and present breakfasts that are memorable and not just plain everyday fare. A different dish and sides are served each day.
Individualized portions of the main entrée are prepared by Innkeeper Dave, rounded out with made-from-scratch muffins or breads, a side meat, fresh fruit dish, and fresh-squeezed juice. Individualizing our portions means we can modify a dish or serve to your specific taste (e.g., leave out or substitute for a specific ingredient), so do let us know if you have any special dietary requests or allergies when you reserve your room. We can prepare diabetic-friendly, gluten-free, and vegan dishes, as well as vegetarian alternatives for all our main dishes. And if any of our daily made-from-scratch specialties aren’t quite to your individual taste (it’s OK, you are not as picky an eater as Innkeeper Brigette, trust us), we always have standard breakfasts available by advance request, such as cereal, oatmeal, toast, bagels, and fruit.
We like to share – several of our recipes are posted on our Bed & Breakfast Blog.
Samples of Our Main Entrées
- Our Frittata-style Eggs with ham or sausage, sweet peppers and Vidalia onions, topped lightly with cheese, and ringed in crisp and flaky crescent dough
- Pumpkin Belgian Waffles, served with 100% pure maple syrup from Vermont, with fresh seasonal fruit, eggs and sausage. Our waffles were featured in Our State magazine’s February 2012 issue and won the 2012 Best of Our State Recipe Readers Choice Award.
- Rosemary Shirred Eggs
- Spinach, Chicken and Asiago Breakfast Strata
- Potato-crusted Ham, Vegetable and Cheese Quiche
- Stuffed Puffed French Toast, featuring layers of strawberry preserves, cream cheese, brown sugar and cinnamon
- Dutch Baby Pancakes with seasonal fruit baked in cast iron skillets
Sample Fruit Fare
- Fresh Fruit Cocktail served with our local sourwood honey and mint from our garden in season
- Baked Bananas with brown sugar, topped with cinnamon cream sauce
- Citrus Apple Compote with orange blossom honey
- Pears poached in ginger, vanilla and local honey
- Individual Apple Crisps and Peach Crisps
- Fresh seasonal fruit
Sample Breads/Muffins (always made from scratch)
- Pumpkin Bread
- Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins
- Cinnamon Peach Bread
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Irish Soda Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Sample Meat Sides
- Homemade Sweet Onion Sausage Balls
- Bacon, cooked ‘low and slow’ to crispy perfection
- Turkey Kielbasa Sausage
- Sliced Ham, pan-fried with just a touch of brown sugar
- Sausage Links